Don't Answer Text Messages of This Type. It May Be a Scam
7. Do not share your cellphone number on social media or anywhere else online.Sharing your phone number on social media gives criminals easy access to both your phone number and information about you -- which, when combined, can help them orchestrate a smishing attack against you, your family, or your work colleagues.
Smishing is a new term you'll probably hear more about as the months and years progress. It refers to SMS phishing, or text messages that are intended to go after your phone or personal information.
Once again, it's essential to protect these bits of information at all costs:
- Your Social Security number
- Your personal email address and password
- Your personal phone number and lockscreen PIN code
- Passwords and PIN codes to your phone